Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Path to a New Passport: PART II

This is a continuation of the previous post: Path to a New Passport

Step 6. The US Embassy in Quito (trip II)
Now that I had my two reports (the police report and the migration services report), a copy of my previous passport, 2x2 special passport pictures, the passport forms, a stolen passport report, and $97 dollars ($55 for a new passport, $12 surcharge for applications made outside the country, and $30 because the former passport was not submitted-a lost of stolen surcharge), things went fairly smoothly at the embassy.

Interestingly, I was not asked to provide proof of identity or proof of citizenship as was described in the requirements section of the passport application. The consular officer had me swear that everything in the report was true and I signed the forms.

Step 7.The US Embassy in Quito (trip III)
I picked up my new passport on Monday. They didn´t ask for my receipt or any identification!

Step 8. Migration Services (trip II)
I had to get a new arrival stamp and date on my passport to avoid problems when I leave the country. Step 8 was pretty ridiculous and had many "sub-steps".
  • Ventana 7 (Window 7): I submitted the report I had receivedwhen i visited Migration Services the first time, and my passport. This woman printed a report and stamped it.
  • Ventana 4 (Window 4): I submitted the new report, and my passport. When this guy found out the passport had been stolen, he told me I needed to submit copies of my new passport and a copy of the police report.
  • Copy Shop down the street for document copies (10 cents)
  • Ventana 4: I submitted the copies, the new migration services report and my passport. Upon inspection, this police office realized that my name had been entered incorrectly at the airport when I entered the country. The ¨H¨ in my last name had been omitted .He told me I need to get the airport report changed and that to do this I needed a color copy and go to window 6.
  • Copy Shop down the street for a color copy ($1 dollar)
  • Ventana 6: this officer compared the names on all the documents and decided we could change the airport report to reflect my passport´s spelling of my name.  He sent me back to Window 7 to get a new report with my name spelled correctly
  • Ventana 4: this officer printed a new version of the airport report.
  • Ventana 6: Finally, a new stamp and date in my passport...!
While I was being "helped" at Ventana 6 for the third time, down at Ventana 2 another US Citizen (I think, although I suppose he could have been Canadian), was having a rough time and not dealing with it too well "I hate this ... country!" Anyway, he was giving the office vocal samples of "groseos" (cuss words) in English in between boughts of Spanish conversation with the police officer.  Apparently he was having a more rough time than I... or just not taking it so well.

In less than a month, I will have to go to a different Quito Migration Services office to get my 90 day tourist visa renewed... I am sure it will be another eventful experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not realize so many former GSD employees worked for the Peruvian Government. It does however, sound like you and I share the same charma and tendancy for unwanted chaos. I'm eagerly awaiting you next blog when you get put on the wrong bus to costa Rica.